Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pecan Bend

I

I have previously mentioned my trip to Texarkana to hang with Dani--this all came about b/c my thoughtful husband thought it would be fun. He planned to help a coworker in town while my mom watched the kids so I could go play. Sweet, huh? Dani picked me up at Starbucks and off we went...we started with the grand tour of TAMU-T, her new college. Then we met Alan at a popular cheeseburger place downtown for lunch. Lunch was delicious, stories were told, jokes were made, bellies were filled. A qualified success. After that we headed to the farm--it gets to be called a farm b/c there are over 80 pecan trees. Pecan Bend is actually a peninsula of land way out into the country and into the Red River. I've heard about this place for a year and got to put faces with names--like Ribeye and Norman, the Longhorn cattle pets of the neighbors. I was also really looking forward to meeting Humphrey Bullgart--a mini bull who runs the show out there, but that day the "show" took Humphrey elsewhere. I did get to meet Lucy, King, and Lady the dogs of the country home, and Maggie and Coco--the horses. After touring the house we fed the horses animal crackers and then let them out of their pasture to run around--super funny to watch baby Coco run...next time you kids see Alan, ask him what happens when the horses are running around excitedly. Later Alan took us down to the river (shall we gather?) to look around and Dani even let me sit in the front seat of the old Land Cruiser. These pictures really don't give the Bend justice, it's lovely out there....and I had a great day catching up with my friend--whose diaper I didn't have to change all day....

No comments: