Friday, August 28, 2009

The Denlers Ride Horses



The lodge we were staying at would let six-year-olds go on full hour rides on their own horse. As soon as I read that statement out loud, Liv knew that was destiny calling. We did horseback riding while Josie napped, and after Dogwood Canyon. Liv opted for a helmet, unfortunately none of them were her size. Liv rode Snickers, I rode Stormy and Kevin rode Bandit. We went on a trail ride with Wrangler Roy. Kevin suspects that 'Roy' was a stage wrangler name..a la Roy Rogers. But, I think, surely not...is there a need for stage wrangler names really? Anyway. There were ten in our group all together and we headed up the rear. All went well until Snickers figured out that his rider weighed 50 lbs. and he could at anytime veer of course for a delicious grassy snack. This exact behavior had been discouraged by Wrangler Roy, but Liv wasn't strong enough to pull him up. Towards the end of the ride, Liv was about over it. Overall, she loved it and feels like a pro now....but my fave part of the ride by far was watching Liv waddle back to the stable after the ride. I wish I had a video...

No comments: