Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pumpkin Math

Liv's class at school did Pumpkin Math this year...and I really didn't know what I was getting into when we started. We had a total of five moms that each brought a different pumpkin--min was tall and skinny. We each had around five kids at our table--I had Liv, Whit, Mason, Ragan, and Antonia. This project was for both a math and science grade so before we carved it we had to predict it's weight, circumference, how many lines were on it, and how many seeds would be inside. After the pumpkin was weighed and measured and counted it was time to open it up. I brought a cheapy little set of tools with me and they were no match for my pumpkin. He was super thick and by the end I had scooped out several pounds of innards and 560 seeds. Seriously, 560 seeds--the kids at my table predicted around 50. After that mess was gone we had a pretty heated debate over the design of our pumpkin. In the end, all time allowed for were some traditional triangle eyes, nose and mouth. The kids were proud and I think we all got an A.


No comments: